Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Quoits anybody?

Carl here!  You have to have some sort of fun while camping, so why not bring along a set of horseshoes to play with.  I'm talking about manly steel horseshoes here, not those girly rubber horseshoes, in all their bright colors.  Although, I am partial to the nice yellow and blue ones.

But trying to toss a metal horseshoe 40 feet onto a stake isn't that easy. It’s hard to throw the horseshoes so they open up just at the right time.  If we played quoits instead of horseshoes, I wouldn’t have to worry about it.  A quoit is a metal disc with a hole in the center.  You toss the disc and try to land it on a hob.  It sounds easy enough, but it’s not quoit that simple.  I just couldn’t resist that one.  The hob is pretty small, only about 5 inches.  There’s nothing worse than a small hob, right.......…. not that I have that problem!

             I’m assuming back in the old medieval days, men had the same problem I had (no, not the small hob thing). I'm talking about medieval men trying to get the horseshoe to open up at the stake.  Oh, I’m sorry, that was very sexist of me, implying that only men played quoits back in medieval times.  OK, men and wenches had the same problem I had.  Instead of working on their throwing technique, they decided to bend the ends of the horseshoe together into a ring shape. Why didn’t I think of that......  maybe, because I’m not as strong as “The Mighty Atom,” and I can’t bend horseshoes into circles with my bare hands.  Oh well!  Quoits was the game of choice back then, but  today it's horseshoes.  So, if you want to have fun at your next camping outing, bring along a set of horseshoes......... with the horse unattached, of course.

Would you believe they still play Quoits to this day.  Check it out on the Internet, its quoit interesting.  Sorry!  And also check out the Mighty Atom, he’s quoit interesting also.  Sorry again!

Camping fun with Carl, signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment